J-1 Students and Scholars​

Each year Providence College issues a limited number of J-1 exchange visitor visas to incoming exchange students and research scholars.

J-1 Student visas are issued only to incoming exchange students studying at Providence for one or two semesters.  Please see information below for more details on required J-1 exchange student documentation.

J-1 Research Scholars are a vital part of the Providence College community, and assist our professors in their labs.  If you are a PC faculty member interested in sponsoring a research scholar for your lab, please contact the Center for International Studies.

Incoming Exchange Students

Providence College has established exchanges with the University of Birmingham and the Reims Management School.  Incoming exchange students from these institutions to Providence College must submit the following items in order to be issued a DS-2019 Certificate of Eligibility:

  • International Exchange/Visiting Student Application for Admission
  • Exchange Student Housing Questionnaire
  • International Student Certificate of Finances
  • Completed Student Health Record
  • Proof of immunizations (required immunizations can be found here)

In addition to the above forms, exchange student applicants must also submit the following:

  • Copy of the passport photo page
  • Copy of your academic transcript
  • Copy of TEFL or IELTS scores (if student’s native language is not English)
  • Proof of adequate health insurance, covering at minimum:
    • Medical benefits of at least $50,000 per accident or illness
    • Repatriation of remains in the amount of $7,500
    • Medical evacuation to the home country in the amount of $10,000
    • A deductible not to exceed $500 per accident or illness

Students who do not provide proof of adequate medical coverage will be charged for the Gallager-Koster Insurance plan for Providence College.  In AY2012-13 this cost was approximately $1,500 for one year of coverage.

All documents must be submitted to the Assistant Dean of International Studies no later than April 1st (for fall semester entries) or November 1st (for spring semester entries).

Documents can be submitted by e-mail to pcabroad@providence.edu, fax at +1.401.865.2455, or post to:

Providence College

Center for International Studies

One Cunningham Square

Providence, RI  02918


Outgoing Exchange Students

Providence College students interested in studying abroad at the University of Birmingham or Reims Management School should contact the Center for International Studies for additional information.